May 7, 2013

Couch to 5K


Three weeks ago I started running with three other awesome mamas. And I love it.

We began the Couch to 5K program. It starts off slowly with intervals of running and walking. We joke that our kids could walk faster than we run, but I am so proud of us for getting out there anyway.

Here are some thing I have learned the last three weeks...

1. Exercise is way more fun with friends - I've tried running by myself in the past, but I always give up after a week. Making exercise a social event has made it much more enjoyable.
2. Breathing is key - In through your nose, inhale and exhale the same number of paces, etc. It's much harder than I thought!
3. Having a plan makes a HUGE difference - I love not having to come up with workouts on my own. I am so much more likely to stick with it when it's already set up for me. And guess what, there's an app for that!
4. Pushing a stroller while running is a workout in itself - I feel like I am swerving all over the place. And with all our strollers side by side (and kids dropping things), we're an accident waiting to happen.
5. I like to talk when I run - Never would have known this about myself if not for these mamas inviting me out. Thanks for listening to me ladies! :)

Three weeks (almost) down, six more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment